Wednesday, January 7, 2009

Back to Mexico

Well I just made it back down to Mexico on Monday morning at about 6 a.m. after a car ride that started around 11 p.m. on Saturday night from Houston, TX to here. The car ride wasn't as bad as I thought it would be and it was a lot cheaper than flying. It was good to be able to get back home and celebrate Christmas and New Years with family and friends, but it's nice to be back here now. It's kind of weird to have a little bit of culture shock when you go back to the country where you spent almost 23 years of your life, after living in another place for only about 6 months. The amount wealth and just the differences in living and comfort take a little time to get re-adjusted to. Not to mention being able to go to a restaurant and ask for what you want in English.
After only being back here for about a day we had a kind of party last night to celebrate "Dia de Reyes." I haven't really been able to get a clear answer about what it actually is, but from what I have been told it's got something to do with celebrating the Wisemen bringing gifts to Jesus when he was born. Apparently Dia de Reyes is a bigger deal than Christmas for the kids down here because it's when they get the majority of their presents. For some reason only the Catholics will celebrate the holiday and the majority of people down here that are Evangelical Christians don't recognize it (that's the way it seems to go with almost all 0f the holidays down here-including Easter for some reason). We recognized it anyway and we had about 100 or more Mexicans along with all of us that watched the movie Narnia (in Spanish) and ate 500 tamales that were delicious. I wish that we had more occasions to eat tamales, but after seeing all the work that goes into them I hope I don't ever have to make them. But I did tell Epifania our cook that anytime she needed somebody to make sure her food tasted alright; I'm her man.
I guess that's about all for now, but I'm going to try and do a lot better in the three months that I have left down here at posting blogs more frequently. So until next time- Happy New Year.

No comments: